Selfish

I am a selfish poet. The whole selfless idea leaves me confused. Sure,it does have a romantic and philosophical touch to it. Some people say when they read a poem and make it theirs,they feel connected. Like they belong. I can't deny it. When I read a poem, I start searching for myself in it.

"Lost they are,happy they are too."

What is the first thought that came to your mind?

A group of people who are lost but they are happy too. Then we start building around those words. Lost doesn't always seem bad and happiness is all that matters and what not.

"The paper boats are on a voyage,
Lost they are, happy they are too."

Now you are confused. But you still try. A child that is playing with paper boats. Yes, almost there. You gather your own meaning. Damn! That was good.

My thoughts on writing these two lines? I wrote the second line first because it suddenly came to me when I touched the keyboard. Should make it more interesting? Maybe a touch of nostalgia? Why not! I add the first line. And leave you to decipher it with your skills.

How cruel are we? We sometimes write things we are not at all passionate about and how is that fair? And when you say 'wow,this is good!', don't you think we feel guilty? Yes,we do.

Now do you realise why I chose selfless. No? The thing if you have a good vocabulary,you can write a poem. Yes,you can. But then have you ever asked someone to explain their poem? You would be surprised at how many thoughts are succumbed into a single poem.

I never try to read and decipher poems that are not mine. Unless I can ask them what they wanted to convey. I know it's too much. But I do read poems but I never try to decipher them. Maybe that's why I don't have a favourite poem. I am all in for passion, feelings and rawness. I don't care even if it is about your morning walk,your toothbrush, I need to know you thought about it. And that it is not a random idea to impress others. Wonder is a beautiful thing. Why would any poet not want to explain the simple brilliant thoughts that spurt out from their mind? Why? It leaves me full of suspicion.

Guilty as charged for the poem above.

P.S. Just my views. Your thoughts are more than welcome. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bad art

Monologue of an anxious heart

Nights,Cigarettes and the piano.