Man on the moon

Pic credits: Bobbi Whiteman.
To my Man on the moon 
There are two things I am absolutely terrible at : directions and writing secret letters. And the irony of it is almost funny because I can't stop thinking about all the places I would go and all the words I would splash on a piece of paper to let someone know that I love them with all of my being. You have to take credit for the ignited hope in my heart that hasn't been washed down by my interaction with others and I would always be grateful to you for that.

I do confuse myself sometimes. I remember the most strangest things about places. How the sun shines a little differently on the east side of the park, or how the leaves refuse to let out a scrunching sound on that particular lane because of all the shade, or how a wind blows as I walk down that small road from where I can see my home at exactly 6:26pm. I know it sounds all stupid, it probably might be but anything to hear you laugh. Seriously though, I got lost in a mall once when I was 18, I got off a bus three stops away from home because I was pretty sure the place looked familiar, I prefer walking or cycling over any other forms of transport because it gives me more time to analyse my surroundings and realise I am lost. Aahhaa, that cute laugh again. 

People never find my letters, you know. Once I even saw one of them being tossed in the bin because it looked like a crumpled piece of paper. Apart from writing in tiny bits of paper, words that made my soul soar as I gave them life, the act of staying anonymous and brightening a person's day. I couldn't think of anything more beautiful, but then again I was 16 and stupid. I almost gave up on writing them until you showed me your diary. A possession you would pass on to me, you said. The frightening simplicity and details in it took me aback. I wrote you a letter then and there and I placed it neatly between the pages. I wanted to write the letter in Malayalam but I was poor in it. I don't remember a word of it now but I am sure it was the best letter I have ever written. Because although I give the words life, you gave them meaning.

Surprise! This is a thank you note. See, I am still good at giving surprises. To the kindest man I have ever known, to the one who eases my homesick heart with your extremely long hello, to my man on the moon, thank you. Thank you for always taking me places without hesitation, thank you for never making me feel lost, thank you for calling out my name loudly in buses when we reach our stop, thank you for teaching me how to ride a cycle, and thank you for letting me hold your pinky finger even now. Thank you for reading me back the translated version of the letter I wrote you with the help of your colleague and telling me how much it means to you. Thank you for still keeping it between the pages. Thank you for loving me for all the things I am terrible at. Thank you. 
With lots of love
Your Sound of Music.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bad art

Monologue of an anxious heart

Nights,Cigarettes and the piano.