The Girl with the Hat.

 Lining up for the assembly is the most dreaded thing on school days as we are sleep-deprived and also have an instinct that we are going to stand like this for one hour. Dragging our legs on the floor while the teachers command through the mike to move in silence. After standing in line, we have wait for five minutes to let the other block heads to position themselves. Hopping from one leg to another to ease the pain, some are leaning against the pillars while the energetic ones are chatting their ears off.

Suddenly,there was a hushed silence which was followed by couple of giggles. I wanted to see what was drawing a lot of attention when I saw a glimpse of a girl walking down the steps to the lower podium. She was in casual dress which surely indicated it was her birthday. We all wear the same uniform but birthday students are allowed to wear anything they want ,except indecent,tight dresses.( which means we have to come in the costume we sleep). The strange fact about her appearance being she was wearing a hat, a big one. Something that makes you look like a princess. (Yes.. I am totally obsessed with these hats.)

The fact that she wore it to the school was the joke and apart from that she only wore a big white spectacles. If I was in her place , I wouldn't have even took the courage to walk in that hat. But she had a lot of confidence. The type of confidence that in my life I will never posses.

There is a time when we have to sing a birthday song for them while they stand on the platform. There were a few giggles of laughter and I admit I smiled too. She looked very pretty even though she was wearing a really big specs that covered her face. She was fair in complexion and wore a casual top and jeans but I was pretty sure that the entire school had the attention on her alone. Her head was held high and her face didn't even express a tiny bit of fear.

Confidence is something that I have always lacked in. The confidence to speak before a crowd, the confidence to keep my head high when I understands someone is staring at me or even the confidence to talk to someone special. And when I saw this 10-year-old (just a guess) with a huge load of confidence, I felt so happy and uncomfortable. If she can do it,then why can't I?

The one thing that impressed me again was the fact that she wore the hat till the end of the school time,despite the stares and comments from other. *A slow clap for her*


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bad art

Monologue of an anxious heart

Nights,Cigarettes and the piano.