You.


We stand among the lies we have build up. We look at each other. I can feel my eyes tearing up,my vision blurred. The grave of all the beautiful promises and happiness we once shared has no marks on it, no signs of past. It still appears new, like the mending scars on my heart. Only it has been way too long. You place a flower on it, stressing on the mere fact that a resurrection isn't possible. My heart breaks a little. You walk past me. The familiar smell of home, your ignorant smile, everything about you walking away tears me apart. I wanted to call out to you. But I don't.

Today will be different, I hope. The yellow flowers are dancing to the wind. I lay my head down on the ground and glance at the sky. I smile. I wonder how it is capable of telling so many stories a single day when no one remembers it the next. I love how selfless you are, how beautiful you are. I finally close my eyes ,listening to the melodies I didn't give importance to before. I hear footsteps. I open my eyes slowly and see your stretched hand reaching out for me. I accept it delicately with a smile. I don't hesitate even for a moment. But when you loosened the grip and let go, I wasn't surprised either. The scars had stopped healing a long time back. They remained raw and every brush instilled pain. Pain that I had started to feel like a soft caress.

I started hating myself. I was becoming too strong, too withdrawn, too sad. But my heart was too much of a lover to just let you go. It picked up the broken pieces even when it was too difficult. It was trying. I was not. But my soul was stronger than my body. I found myself crawling back to you, taking all the precautions I needed to take. Sometimes it was too much to handle and I'd breakdown. But sometimes the words you say to me make it all worthwhile. There are times when I gave up, but I didn't. After all, I was strong. You made me that. And maybe I am thankful for it.

Today, the sky was picture perfect. Not many shades. Just plain blue and white. But as I stared too long, I started noticing a tinge of yellow arriving. It showed a sign of protest. A protest for something I couldn't quite make out. Then a splash of purple appeared and all I could think of was love. My thoughts were random and it was troubling me. I didn't have an explanation. But I was thinking about you. And I knew things should return back to how they were before. It wasn't an attempt to recreate our past neither was it a plead for a better future. I simply needed you in my life. Just in my life. I loved you too much to let you go.

The flowers on the grave had dried. You brushed them off. You had fresh flowers in your hand. My heart was beating fast. You handed them to me with that beautiful smile of yours. The roses had no thorns this time. I blushed. 'Come, let's watch the sunset together.'



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bad art

Monologue of an anxious heart

Nights,Cigarettes and the piano.